Cambodia is a kingdom of wonder located in South East Asia. It consists of many beautiful places to visit such as ancient temples, and natural attractions. Here is the information related to Cambodia travel guide.
Cambodia land area is 181,035 square kilometers.Cambodia was a part of ancient kingdom of Funan, Chenla and Angkor.
Cambodia is located in South East Asia with tropical and monsoon weather which is cultivated for tourism. There is no fear of volcanic eruption or natural disasters.
The average temperature is 27 degrees Celsius and the minimum is about 14 degrees Celcius. December and January are the coolest months while the hottest is April ( 35-37 degrees).
Population and people
Total population is about 15 millions and 90% of them are ethnic Khmer. There are several other ethnicity such as Vietnamese, Chinese, Cham and other tribes.
The official religion is Theravada Buddhism with 90% percentage. The rest are Muslim, Taoist and Christian.
80% of total populations are farmers and peasants. The main economy is agriculture, tourism and handicraft.
The official language is Khmer. English is for tourism and international relation.
The best most inexpensive way to take sights of Siem Reap is by Tuk Tuk. The others are car, minivan, boat, train and plane.
GMT +7 (Greenwich Mean Time)
Cambodian Riel is the national currency of Cambodia. You may commonly pay in USD also.
A valid Passport and visa are required for Cambodia entry. Your visas can be obtained at Phnom Penh International Airport, Siem Reap International Airport, Poi Pet border, Voen Kam border, Anlong Veng and Bavet border as well on arrival. You must bring two passport sized photos and fill up the forms. A one month special Visa fee is 20 US $ and a Business Visa is 25 US $. Renew visas through Immigration Department situated just opposite the Phnom Penh International Airport. You have to pay 25 US $ for International and 6$ for domestic fight for airport tax.
Governmental offices open from 7.30 am to 11.30 am and 2.30 pm to 5 pm only on weekdays. Travel agencies, banks and other businesses open from 8 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm.
All electric device voltage is 220 volts.
Everyone almost has mobile and smart phones. It is common now. You may purchase SIM card with the following prefixes: 010, 012, 013, 05, 016, 017, 018, 092, 093, 097, 089, 098. and 090.
Dressing is casual except the traditional ceremonies or festivals. It’s normal to see both men and women wearing the Krama. It is a long and narrow checked cotton cloth round their necks. The women like wearing Sampot at home and wear the trousers or jeans when they go out. At the party they wear traditional dress for each gender.
Public holiday and events
- 01 January International New Year's Day.
- 07 January Victory day over the Khmer Rouge.
- 30 January Meak Bochhea Day
- 08 March International Women's Day.
- 14-15-16 April Cambodian New Year, "Bonn Chol Chhnam Khmer".
- 01 May International Labor's Day.
- 28 May Bonn Visaka Bochea “The Birthday of Buddha".
- 12 May Royal Ploughing ceremony “Bonn Chroat Preah Nongkaol".
- 13-14-15 May His Majesty king Seihamuni's birthday.
- 01 June International Children's Day.
- 18 June Samdech Preah Mohesey Norodom Monineath Sihanouk's Birthday.
- 24 September Constitutional Day.
- 7-8-9 October Bonn Pchum Ben.
- 23 October Paris Peace Accord on Cambodia.
- 29 October Coronation Day of His Majesty King Norodom Seihamuni
- 31 October His Majesty Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk's Birthday.
- 09 November Independence Day.
- 20-21-22 November Water & Moon Festival.
- 10 December International Human Rights
Apsara Dance is the most common classical Cambodian dance. There are many more dancing styles based on the regions and origins.
Traditional Khmer music instrument plays a vital role in the lives of the people, in ritual event, ceremonies and festivals.